Sunday, 23 April 2017

The Pursuit of Happiness

A comment on my book 'The Pursuit of Happiness', by a fan.

I’ve followed most of Vincent’s collections of quotations and this is probably his best and most inspiring compilation- because, speaking personally, I’ve never sat down and worked out what made me happy before!

Coming from an upbringing where nearly everything and everybody were viewed negatively and with suspicion, of course this makes me wish I’d read this when I was in my teens!

What comes through strongly in most of the quotes is that we should reflect on what we already have, and appreciate it, and think about the good things which come through not taking others for granted: we are in charge- by what we do and how we live and think we can gain happiness.

I found that the longer quotes in last part of the collection were, for myself, more meaningful and memorable than earlier short one-liners, but it’s good to read these quotes more than once because there really is a common thread through most of the quotes and it’s helped to give me a changing perspective.

No comments: