Thursday 11 March 2010

Did they really say this?


They say children say the damnest things. Well, Some adults do too.

Ever in a moment of thoughtlessness said something you wish you hadn’t? A word once uttered is beyond recall. How true!

Sometimes, we speak without thinking. Sometimes, due to the multiple meanings of words, the meaning of what we want to convey came out all wrong. 

This is a collection of what some people said. Real people, and famous people too! Otherwise I am quite sure these would not made it to print. 

Some are slip of the tongue, some are tongue firmly in cheek, some are instances of speaking without thinking, and some are occasions of foot in mouth syndrome. 

I have left out the names in these quotes because I don’t want to embarrass the people who said them - again.

Here’s the first instalment. Enjoy! - 


Your food stamps will be stopped effective March 1992 because we received notice that you passed away. May God bless you. You may reapply if there is a change in your circumstances. 

Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million. 

That low-down scoundrel deserves to be kicked to death by a jackass, and I’m just the one to do it. 

It’s no exaggeration to say that the undecided could go one way or the other. 

It isn’t pollution that’s harming the environment. It’s the impurities in our air and water that are doing it. 

If we don’t succeed, we run the risk of failure. 

If somebody has a bad hart, they can plug this jack in at night as they go to bed and it will monitor their heart throughout the night and the next morning, when they wake up dead, there’ll be a record. 

I don’t feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed land, and the Indian were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves. 

Half this game is ninety percent mental. 

I’ve never had a major knee surgery on any other part of my body. 

Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country. 

When I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I can’t help but cry. I mean I’d love to be skinny like that but not with all those files and death and stuff. 

Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life… 

We are ready for an unforeseen event that may or may not occur. 

The future will be better tomorrow. 

If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure. 

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. 

I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change. 

I couldn't help but be impressed by the magnitude of the earthquake. 

I deserve respect for the things I did not do. 

I have made good judgements in the Past. I have made good judgements in the Future.

I understand the importance of bondage between parent and child. 

If you give a person a fish, they'll fish for a day. But if you train a person to fish, they'll fish for a lifetime. 

It shows `us vs. them,' and I'm on the `us' side. 

It's a question of whether we're going to go forward into the future, or past to the back.

It's a very good historical book about history.

One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared'.

Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children. 

Sometimes cameras and television are good to people and sometimes they aren't. I don't know if its the way you say it, or how you look. 

No comments: