Tuesday 6 November 2007

My Interest


My interest in collecting anecdotes, parables, proverbs, aphorisms, idioms, adages, quotes, words of wisdom, points to ponder etc... started in my school days. I was in awe of the knowledge and lessons taught in these short sentences or parables. Every time I come across a phrase, a sentence or a paragraph which so impressed me, I would painstakingly put pen to paper, and with great joy too! I practically grew up on them. They served as signposts on my journey through life.

Do not underestimate the power and the impact of a simple parable – simple to you may be, but they are usually profound lessons - or a simple aphorism, or a common proverb. The right words at the right time could change a person’s life, for the better.

I believe anecdotes, proverbs, aphorisms ... etc, have a place in society. And it is comforting to know that there are others who feel the same way too.


The wisdom of the wise and the experience of the ages is preserved into perpetuity by a nation's proverbs, fables, folk sayings and quotations. - William Feather

Whenever words fly up at me from the printed page as I read, I intercept them instantly, knowing they are for me. I turn them over carefully in my mind and cling to them hard. - Ray Stannard Baker

Exclusively of the abstract sciences, the largest and worthiest portion of our knowledge consists of aphorisms, and the greatest and best of men is but an aphorism. - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

The excellence of aphorisms consists not so much in the expression of some rare or abstruse sentiment, as in the comprehension of some useful truth in a few words. - Samuel Johnson

Aphorisms are portable wisdom, the quintessential extracts of thought and feeling. - William Rounseville Alger

A collection of anecdotes and maxims is the greatest of treasure for the man of the world, for he knows how to intersperse conversation with the former in fit places, and to recollect the latter on proper occasions. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Precepts or maxims are of great weight; and a few useful ones on hand do more to produce a happy life than the volumes we can't find. - Seneca

Quotations help us remember the simple yet profound truths that give life perspective and meaning. When it comes to life's most important lessons, we can all use gentle reminders. - Chriswell Freeman

Have you ever observed that we pay much more attention to a wise passage when it is quoted than when we read it in the original author? - Philip G. Hamerton

A fine quotation is a diamond in the hand of a man of wit and a pebble in the hand of a fool. - Joseph Roux

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is. - Mary Pettibone Poole

Stronger than an army is a quotation whose time has come. - W. I. E. Gates

I quote others only the better to express myself. - Michel Montaigne

By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. - Douglas Jerrold

Next to the originator of a good sentence is the first quoter of it. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


I think it’s time you start your collection of anecdotes, aphorisms ….etc too.

No comments: