Monday 20 January 2014

Paraprosdokians


A paraprosdokian (from Greek, meaning "beyond" and "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.
            Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Don’t pay any attention to the critics. Don’t even ignore them. - Samuel Goldwyn 

Dont take the bull by the horns, take him by the tail; then you can let go when you want to. - Josh Billings

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines. - John Benfield

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye diet. - Lewis C. Henry

Errors have been made. Others will be blamed. - Unknown

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some do not have film. - Unknown

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - Samuel Goldwyn 

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get. - Unknown

Forgive your enemies - if you can’t get back at them any other way. - Franklin P. Jones

Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city. - George Burns

Hard work pays off in the future; laziness pays off now.
- Unknown

Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people. Warren Buffet

I can hear music coming out of my printer. I think the paper’s jammin’ again. - Unknown

I do not burn bridges. I just loosen the bolts a little, every day. - Unknown

I don’t hold grudges. I hold memories that keep me better prepared for our next encounter. - Unknown

No comments: