Monday 31 March 2014

Paraprosdokian


A paraprosdokian (from Greek, meaning "beyond" and "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.
            Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

When I eventually met Mr. Right I had no idea that his first name was Always. - Rita Rudner

When I feel like exercising I just lie down until the feeling goes away. - Robert M. Hutchins

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Trent Redman

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. - Emo Philips

When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them.
- Rodney Dangerfield  

When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room. - Woody Allen 

When I was young, I was scared of the dark. Now when I see my electricity bill I am scared of the lights. - Unknown

Where there’s a will, there’s a relative. - Ricky Gervais

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.
- Unknown

When things haven’t gone well for you, call in a secretary or a staff man and chew him out. You will sleep better and they will appreciate the attention. - Lyndon B. Johnson

When we played softball, I’d steal second base, feel guilty and go back. - Woody Allen 

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. - Unknown

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR". - Unknown

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping. - Bo Derek

No comments: