Sunday 27 October 2019

Noka

I chanced upon this restaurant in Funan Mill recently. I didn’t dine there though. The prices are quite beyond what I am willing to pay for a meal. All the same, I thought I would do a post on it.

The name Noka means farmhouse in Japanese. Noka by Open Farm Community at Funan Mall is Singapore’s first rooftop urban farm-to-table Japanese restaurant. It is an open-concept kitchen and restaurant, where they focus on locally sourced, seasonal and innovative dishes. The also ‘curate and host local farmers to showcase there produce to guests,to deepen the pleasures of simple, freshly harvested ingredients that are both nourishing and a visual feast.’ - Source

NOKA is located in the redeveloped Funan Mall. It occupies the rooftop level of the mall, and it is Singapore’s first rooftop urban farm-to-table Japanese restaurant, beside the urban farm area managed by Edible Garden City. It is also the sister restaurant to Open Farm Community in Dempsey.

Apparently, there are more than 50 types of fruits, flowers, herbs and vegetables grown on the rooftop farm – all pesticide free, of course.

The menu is hugely Japanese inspired, paired with local ingredients and as much as possible, farm-to-table ingredients from the adjacent urban farm.

For those who are interested to take a look. Here’s the address, and their opening hours.

7 Days | Lunch 11:30AM — 2:30PM | Dinner 6PM — 10PM
#07-38 FUNAN (Lift Lobby A), 109 North Bridge Road, Singapore, 179097
Tel: +65 6877 4878 | Reservations: http://noka.sg

It is certainly an interesting idea. But I am thinking, it must me quite an investment to grow their own ingredients. Their prices, at a glance, I suppose is reasonable, if you take into consideration the work on the farm. And the space on the rooftop, I am not sure what is the arrangement, but that, surely, must also be costly. Anyway, we shall see.

I had a quick walk around the rooftop and here are some of the herbs/spices/vegetables/fruits I saw.

I don't know what are these plants.

Lemon grass

Chilli padi

Banana trees on the left, and papaya trees on the right. I don't know what the purple/green leaf plants in the foreground are called. I believe they are some sort of herbs. I remember my mum used to boil them in water, add some sugar to it to take off the bitter taste, and gave us to drink. It is supposedly 'cooling' for the body.

Pandan Leaves

Pomegranate

Limes

Okra aka Ladies Fingers in the middle. In the front are mints. Don't know about those on top of the ledge.

No comments: