Monday 13 April 2009

Can we Ever Really know anything?


Being capable of some knowledge, we can know much more than logical trivialities. And we can know beyond the reach of proof – which is in itself, something well worth knowing.

We know plenty of things about the matters of daily life. We know how we like to be treated. We know that our time is an extremely limited commodity. We know what it feels like to be busy. We know what it feels like to suffer. Philosophy is the attempt to build on those ordinary things that we all realize we know and to come to some extraordinary conclusions about fundamental issues that we don’t usually contemplate in the frantic rush of daily life.

Knowledge doesn’t require universal agreement. It doesn’t even require that everyone I respect should agree with me. Sometimes you or I can be privy to a fact or an inkling of truth that is not universally recognized. A lack of clear-sightedness or perspective on anyone else’s part, though, can never undermine the ability that you have to attain real knowledge by your own means.

In fact the existence of disagreement between ourselves and others is something that can spur us on to further knowledge. If we are open-minded enough to learn from it what is there to be learned. And then we increase our knowledge.

- Tom Morris - 

When someone opposes me, he arouses my attention, not my anger. I go to meet a man who contradicts me, who instructs me. The cause of truth should be the common cause for both. - Montaigne 

No comments: