Tuesday 17 December 2019

A moment of Weakness

What do you do when you are tired, hungry and weak after spending a reasonable time walking, and on your feet? You would want to find a place, sit down and have some food.

So, my friend and I were at the Gardens by the Bay, and I was exhausted after the walking, and weak from hunger. The nearest food center was quite a distance away, and the chi chi restaurants would burn a hole in my pocket. This was where McDonalds came to my rescue – it being the nearest eatery, affordable and fast.

Ever since I learned that fast food is not healthy food, I have stayed away from all fast food joints. On an average, I may have had McDonalds, once or twice a year. I am sure there were some years when I didn’t have any. But occasionally, I still crave for a burger, or some fried chicken. On this occasion, the craving, the temptation was too strong. Hence, in a moment of weakness – of mind and body, I succumbed.

Their Special this month is the Angus beef with mushrooms. The burger in the poster looked juicy, creamy and mouth watering. However, this was what I got. A very dry looking burger.

I knew well enough that the food I would be getting was never going to be like the one in the picture, but still, I hoped against hope that I will be proven wrong. Anyway, I was too hungry to care.

I ordered the set – a burger, potato wedges and a coke.

There was a promotion of two, 6 pieces of nuggets for the price of one, if you use their App. My friend had their App. So, we went ahead and ordered the chicken nuggets too. I said I was hungry didn’t I.

Here was the full meal. It was as good as fast food goes. After this, I was satiated – till the next craving.

I guess there is a reason why fast food is so popular, and they will never go away. It is convenient, affordable and fast. It’s also ‘international food’. Their brand, their aggressive marketing, and their regular promotional ‘Specials’ also helped entice people to give them a try. Till the next time...

No comments: