Sunday 22 December 2019

Petrified Wood

I learned something new recently – Petrified Wood.

I have seen these features on my previous visits to the Gardens by the Bay before. I had wondered at the significant of these tree stumps in such an open area, and thought what a odd place to be placing these ugly things. If I had went near them, I would have learned about Petrified wood a long time ago.

It was my friend who pointed out these features to me and told me they are called Petrified Wood, on my last visit.

Petrified wood is also called Fossilized Wood. Although it looks like wood, there is none of the original wood left. But from a distance, they look like ordinary tree trunks.

The sign explains how Petrified Wood came about.

Petrified wood forms when, “... plant material is buried by sediment and protected from decay due to oxygen and organisms. Then, groundwater rich in dissolved solids flows through the sediment, replacing the original plant material with silica, calcite, pyrite, or another inorganic material such as opal. The result is a fossil of the original woody material that often exhibits preserved details of the bark, wood, and cellular structures.” - Geology.com

The Petrification process took occurs underground and it took millions of years. Elements such as manganese, iron, and copper in the water/mud during the ratification process give petrified wood a variety of colour ranges.

It is said that petrified wood can preserve the original structure of the stem in all its detail, down to the microscopic level. Structures such as tree rings and the various tissues are often observed features.

You will notice that the petrified wood is smoothened out. At first, I thought that was what these installations are all about - polished tree stumps, and I was not impressed.

I should have taken close up photos of these petrified wood. Well, next time then.

No comments: