Friday 9 April 2021

Books

Do you keep your books after you have read them?

There was a time when I thought it would be a good idea to keep all the books I read. And that’s what I did. I bought a book shelf, and all the books I read goes up there. As the book shelves gradually filled up, I was filled with pride and joy.

When the book shelves overloaded, I bought another one. Through the years, the books accumulate. Some were loaned to friends, and I never saw them again. I made a decision not to loan anyone books any more.

However, after some time, the pages of the books became yellow, the bindings fell apart, and I begin to wonder if it is a good idea to keep the books after all.

I decided that I will not keep the books any more. I would read them again, and if they fall apart, I would throw them out. Those that were all right, I would donate them to the library. And that was what I did.

Now, I have only about a dozen of books that I really would like to keep. Maybe I will read that for a third time before giving them away, or throwing them out.

I guess the following quotes had a strong influence in my decision to keep a library of my own when I was young.

A home without books is a body without soul. To add a library to a house is to give that house a soul. - Cicero

Your library is your portrait. - Holbrook Jackson

A bookshelf is as particular to its owner, as are his or her clothes; a personality is stamped on a library just as a shoe is shaped by the foot. - Alan Bennett

A man’s bookcase will tell you everything you’ll ever need to know about him. - Walter Mosley

At night, when the curtains are drawn and the fire flickers, my books attain a collective dignity. - E.M.Forster

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< BLOGGER >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you like to read about Life, Humour, and Quotes. If you know of someone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

No comments: