Thursday 21 November 2019

Making Friends

Sometimes, it is easier to make friends with dogs than humans. Dogs are more friendly, and have no agendas.

Here are a brother and sister who take walks with their owner in the evenings. Is is too politically incorrect to call him an owner. Well, I will just call him ‘daddy’ then.

These two tiny things bark a lot – at other dogs, at children, giving the children a scare and sending the little ones screaming and scampering. One day, they were doing that as I was nearing them, and I went, “Aren’t you naughty fellows, frightening the children.”

‘Daddy’ explained that they are all barks. That was how 'daddy' and I started talking. So, from then on, whenever I see them, I will stop for a chat, and give the dogs a rub and scratch. They loved it.

One day, I sat down with them, and one of them hopped on to my lap and made herself comfortable. I gave her a scratch and a rub. She was so delighted. When I stopped, she indicated she wanted more by taking my hand in her mouth and drawing it towards her. That was an amazing moment for me.

At first, I was worried that she might decide to have a taste of some human meat. But once I relaxed, she was able to draw my hand towards her.

Dogs know who is good to them. They are easy to love. The fact that those two warmed up to me showed they have good taste too.

No comments: