Saturday 2 September 2017

Spain

I have just returned from a wonderful two-month vacation in Spain – Benalmadena, Malaga, to be exact – and I have some pictures and brief narratives to share. Follow my blog to see them – if you are interested.

I stayed with my friend Roger, who moved to Spain at the beginning of the year, in a quiet residential area, about a ten-minute walk to the city centre on one side, and a twenty-minute walk to the beach cum tourist area on the other. It is an area of serviced apartments and holiday homes. Residents here are a mix of locals and expatriate pensioners, making it quieter and more laid back.

Spain is very hilly – in fact it’s the second-most mountainous country in Europe. All roads go up and down, slopes and hills, hills and slopes – rarely level for long. It is hot and dry during summer months – it hit a high of 38° Celsius when I was there – and it gets much higher as you go inland – Cordoba hit a high of 47° Celsius this summer.

Siesta hours are from two to five pm and most shops are closed during this time. Dinners are usually quite late, since people don’t finish work until 9.00-10.00 pm.

The Spanish are very friendly, easy going, and laid back. “Holas” (Hellos) are a norm. You will get one as long as there is eye contact. And, if they know you well, they will grab you and peck you on both cheeks.

Spain is famous for their Tapas Bars

These can be small cafés or eateries. If you see the word ‘Tapas’ on their sign, it means when you order a drink, they will serve a small snack with the drink. A different snack for every drink you order. So, if you drink enough, you don’t have to have meals.

Other things which Spain is known for are olives, wines and fortified wines, cheese, and leather. Malaga is, of course, famous for its ‘Costa de Sol’ (Coast of the Sun), where there are miles and miles of endless beaches.

Compared to other European countries, Spain is very affordable indeed. The economy is not in the best of shape. There seemed to be more shops and eateries than there were customers. I did my best to boost their economy while I was there, but there is only so much a poor pensioner can do 😊

All in all, I had a wonderful time in Spain. Home-stay holidays suit me best. You get to understand a bit of the people, their culture and their way of life. Going to a country, rushing from one tourist attraction to another, and coming back with souvenirs to prove that you have been there is not my idea of a holiday. I am not keen on shopping, and I am not excited about tourist attractions. Besides, tourist attractions do not necessarily mean that you will be impressed by them.

However, on days when I was not too lazy, and had the adventurous spirit in me, I did venture out, (got taken out), to a few tourist attractions. Places I covered included Gibraltar, Ronda, Malaga, Torremolinos and Mijas. Introductions later.

A couple of complaints – if you will permit me. First was the smell of dog urine, on the streets – all over – and having to watch out for dog poo. Dogs are a common sight in the evenings when they are taken out for walks – when their owners have finished work, and when the weather is cooler. Most dog owners do make the effort to pick up after their dogs, but there’s nothing they can do about the urine and hence, there is a pervasive smell of urine in the air. The hot and dry weather did not help. House flies were another annoyance.

Apartments in the area where I stayed.

On the ground level of the apartment blocks are shops, cafes, and restaurants. So, one does not have to walk far for basic necessities.

More later …. Bookmark this blog if you are interested.

A note to my friends in Spain. Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

No comments: