Wednesday 4 September 2019

Distant Cousins

"Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it." - Soren Kierkegaard

I take daily walks, weather permitting, and when I do not have other engagements. I am lucky to have a wonderful route for my walks. It is well maintained, and there are plenty of trees, plants and flowers along the route.

Today, I will share some of the fruit bearing trees/plants. Unfortunately, I do not know their names. However, they resemble the fruits I know the names of. That is why I call them 'Distance Cousins'.

This fruit looks like a persimmon . It has a very strong scent. Some walker told me they are edible. I took their word for it and tried one. I lived to tell the tale. The texture of the fruit is also like that of a persimmon. But they are not persimmon. Perhaps they are cousins - distant cousins.

These look like cherries. Again, I was told they are edible. I tried one. They are too sour and too acidic to be eaten - unless you have a stomach for that. These are probably distant cousins of the cherries - very distant.

This is another very familiar looking fruit. Perhaps I have seen it sold somewhere, or perhaps they look like the sour sop to me.

This is something I am totally clueless about.

No comments: