Sunday 20 November 2022

Rain Oculus

The Rain Oculus is an art installation created by Ned Kahn. It can be found directly in front of The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands entrance on the Marina Bay promenade.

The ‘disc’, or ‘bowl’ which is 22 meters wide is a skylight and also a rain collector. The rain water collected is then recycled back two stories below into the whirlpool to fill a canal that runs through the atrium. In one minute, over 22,000 litres of water is released.

I was taking a stroll along the promenade when I saw some people gathered around the ‘disc’, looking intently at something. I went closer to see what the attraction was. And for the first time, I saw water being pumped into the disc and whirling downwards.

I do not know how long it has been going on, or how much longer it will last. So, quickly, I snapped a few shots, took a video and went downstairs to do the same. There is a timing for the water coming on. I don’t know if it is every hour, or every two hours.

Outside the building, two stories above, water is being pumped into the bowl.

This is what happens two stories below – water whirling down two stories. It attracts shoppers attention. Most would stopped to watch the water fall for a while.
This is the entrance to the Shoppes atrium from the train station.
This is the canal inside The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands. Visitors can take a ride in a sampan boat.
A family taking a ride in the sampan boat. Children might find it fun to ride in the sampan boat, but I think adults will find it lame. Each ride takes about 10 – 12 minutes, and cost about $12 SGD – if I remember correctly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: