Thursday 15 December 2016

Laughter

He who always prefaces his tale with laughter, is poised between impertinence and folly. - Johann Kaspar Lavater

His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him. - Charles Dickens

However spontaneous it seems, laughter always implies a kind of secret freemasonry, or even complicity, with other laughers, real or imaginary. - Henri Bergson

I don't trust anyone who doesn't laugh. - Maya Angelou

I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing. - Herman Melville

I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person. - Audrey Hepburn

I prefer that laughter shall take me unawares. Only so can it master and dissolve me. - Max Beerbohm

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. - Billy Joel

I'd rather write about laughing than crying, For laughter makes men human, and courageous. - Francois Rabelais

If we may believe our logicians, man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter. - Joseph Addison

It is a fair, even-handed, noble adjustment of things, that while there is infection in disease and sorrow, there is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour. - Charles Dickens

It is a good thing to laugh, at any rate; and if a straw can tickle a man, it is an instrument of happiness. - John Dryden

It may be remarked in general, that the laugh of men of wit is for the most part but a feint, constrained kind of half-laugh, as such persons are never without some diffidence about them; but that of fools is the most honest, natural, open laugh in the world. - Richard Steele

No comments: