Saturday 26 September 2020

Paraprosdokians

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anti-climax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.

“Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.” - Wikipedia

Enjoy this selection of paraprosdokians and have a great weekend!

I found a concert ticket nailed to a tree, so I took it. You never know when you might need a nail. - Unknown 

Just burned 2000 calories. That’s the last time I leave brownies in the oven while I nap. - Unknown 

Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other folks have lent me. - Anatole France

A bore is someone who persists in holding his own views after we have enlightened him with ours. - Malcolm Forbes

A good wife always forgives her husband when she is wrong. - Rodney Dangerfield

Children really brighten up a household. They never turn the lights off. - Ralph Bus

I exercise strong self-control. I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast. - W.C. Fields

The family that stays together probably has only one car. - Knofel Staton 

I’m sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid. I really thought you already knew. - Unknown

If at first you don’t succeed, order pizza. - Unknown

Everyone should believe in something. I believe I should go to the beach. - Unknown

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like “What about lunch? - A.A. Milne




^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you like to read about Life, Humour, and Quotes. If you know of someone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!


No comments: