Saturday 7 May 2022

Batoko Plum Tree

It looks like the Batoko plum are in season again. The fruits appear a few times a year. I know because there are many of these trees along my walk route.

I used to call them fake maraschino cherries because they look like maraschino cherries without the stalk. Later on, I found out from the National Parks website that they are called Flacourtia inermis, or known commonly as lovi-lovi, or Batoko Plum.

According to information from the site, they are rich in Vitamin C and Antioxidants. They are edible in that they are not poisonous. But they are too sour and too acidic to be really edible. I have tried them, after a fellow walker told me that they are edible. I guess that is why the birds leave them alone to ripen. However, they are good for making chutneys and jams.

A young Batoko tree. They don’t grow very tall.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

No comments: