Saturday 25 September 2021

Orchid Plants

I was given a blooming Orchid plant during the Chinese festive season earlier this year. After the bloom, I wondered what to do with the plant. I don’t know if the plant will bloom again. It looked like one of those that were sold for ornamental purposes, which will last for a short period of time. I expected it to die off at some point.

My elder brother was also given a similar orchid plant. Seeing my interest in the plant, he gave his to me as he is not very keen on plants. So, I have two new Orchid plants, and I was wondering what to do with them.

For a while, nothing seems to be happening. Then one day, I saw a tiny leaf on one of the plants. That could only mean there is life in the plant. But would it bloom? I still do not know. However, one thing was for sure. There is not enough room in the pot for it to grow properly. I decided that I will re-pot it to a bigger pot and see how the plant turns out.

I am not sure if they will survive the re-potting. It was a risk. Even if they survive the process, will they bloom? Anyway, since there were a couple of spare pots and bricks, I thought I would just give it a try – no expectations.

They started growing roots before too long. I was pleased. It means they are surviving. Now we wait and see.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a stalk growing out of the side. This could only mean a flower stalk, surely. It is too early to jump for joy, but I am nevertheless very pleased.

And now, more waiting. I will be back with an update on the plants. Meanwhile, here are some pics of the plants after the bloom till now.

A new leaf from the plant, after a while of nothing happening.

This was what it came in. There was no room for it to grow.
Re-potted
After settling down in the new environment, there were new roots. I knew then that it was happy in the new home, and it is going to live.
The other orchid. You can see the roots reaching outside of the pot.
One of the leaves had turned yellow and it worried me a little.
But soon there was a new leaf and I knew it was going to be all right.
Another leaf calling it a day. I guess old leaves have to make way for the new ones.
They are still growing new roots.
And there, I spotted this flower stalk a couple of days ago. Needless to say, I am excited to see how it all pan out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BLOGGER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

No comments: