Sunday 23 February 2020

A&W Restaurant

Once upon a time, in the seventies, there were A&W restaurants in Singapore. They were among the earlier American franchises to come to Singapore.

In 2003, A&W closed all five outlets attributing it to corporate instability and poor sales. They are now back with an outlet at the Changi Airport, and there were plans to open a few more outlets on the island.

Founded in 1919, A&W stands for Allen & Wright – the two founders of an iconic American brand. The company became famous in the United States for its "frosty mugs," where the mugs would be kept in the freezer and eventually get filled with A&W Root Beer before they were served to customers.

Evolving into a franchise in 1926, the company today has locations throughout much of the world with each serving a typical fast-food menu of hamburgers, French fries, and hot dogs.

My earliest memories of them were their root beers. Apparently their Root Beer is freshly made in-store daily, and hand-crafted from a secret blend of spices, cane sugar and water, and proudly caffeine free. They still serves its signature root beer in an ice-cold frosty mug.

Recently, while visiting Jewel at Changi Airport, I saw the outlet and thought I would try them again – for old time sake, and to see if I can relive the taste of their food as when I had them back when I was a youngster. The root beer tasted just as I remembered. As for the food, I can’t quite remember what they tasted like back then.

These are international favourites on their menus - A&W Mozza Burger, Coney Dogs, Curly Fries and Waffle Ice Cream.

A&W Mozza Burger

Coney Dogs

Curly Fries

They are still around a hundred years later

I was so intent on the food, I forgot to take a picture of the root beer float

No comments: