Sunday, 30 August 2026

Fig Trees

I saw these two fig trees in the Flower Dome. They are known as the common fig tree – Ficus carica variety. It is a species of tree or shrub in the flowering plant family Moraceae.

The Flower Dome which maintains a spring temperature throughout the year has plants from five continents. The Ficus carica is one of many plants. As I approached the trees, I noticed there were fruits on the branches. This is the first time I have seen the trees bearing fruits. Or, maybe I didn’t pay attention before.

There are many varieties of fig trees – over 1,000 named varieties. While it is possible to grow them in Singapore, they are wild native fig trees and not the Ficus carica variety. Singapore lacks the distinct dry season and the heavy rainfall is also not conducive to growing ficus carica.

Fun facts about the fig tree (ficus Cariac)
1. Fig trees (Ficus) are special because their flowers bloom inside the fruit rather than on branches.
2. Figs are said to be especially good for the organs in your gastrointestinal tract and your heart. They have a high fiber content. They contain prebiotics that support a healthy gut microbiome.

You can click on the picture for a better view.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommend the blog to them. Cheers!

No comments: