Tuesday 14 February 2023

Night Blooming Cereus

The Epiphyllum Oxypetualum is one of many varieties of the night blooming Cereus. They are known as "one of the easiest houseplants you could ever dream of growing." I think so too.

Despite the limitations of space and the harsh afternoon sun, my night blooming cereus surprised me with blooms regularly. Therefore, every time it blooms, I will take pictures of it and do a post on here – my way of thanking it for working so tirelessly, blooming often. It is very satisfying indeed to see it bloom.

Unfortunately, the nicely scented, beautiful, big white flowers last only an evening. It starts to bloom in the early evening, and will be fully bloomed by midnight. After that, it will begin to wither. By the morning, the flower had withered completely. So, to see the flower in full bloom, you have to stay up late.

Last night, there were three blooms from my plant. There were seven buds to begin with. But two of them didn’t make it to maturity. There are two buds left. They looked set to bloom either tonight or tomorrow.

Here are some pictures of the blooms – from buds to full bloom to withered.

A new bud about five days old.

Buds growing nicely. Not all buds made it to maturity.
Due to a space problem, I had to trim off the branches that were growing onto the corridor. The branches over the wall were burned by the afternoon sun. That leaves only the branches that grow on both sides.
This is about eight in the evening. They are beginning to bloom.
This is about eleven in the evening.
This are my final pictures of the blooms just past midnight.
The withered blooms in the morning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: