Wednesday 24 May 2023

Adenium Obesum

They are well known for their beautiful pink blooms. The locals call them ‘Flower of Prosperity’, or ‘Prosperity flower’.

This is actually a poisonous species of flowering plants belonging to the dogbane family Apocynaceae. If you keep dogs, you might want to keep the plant out of their reach.

The botanical name for this plant is Adenium obesum. Common names for this plant include Sabi star, kudu, mock azalea, impala lily and desert rose.

This is one of the few plants we have. For a while, we were not very successful with it. It kept dying on us, and we do not know why. It was until I found out that it is a succulent that the reason became clear. I have been over watering it. Succulents do not need a lot of water. They do not need to be watered everyday.

Once I realised that, I water it only occasionally. Since then, it has grown healthily. And I was rewarded with these beautiful pink blooms just last week.

There were six flowers in this bloom. By the time the last flower bloomed, the first flower was looking tired and ready to fall off. The whole process - from the first bloom to the last, took about two weeks. Naturally, we are very pleased to see it bloom.

Click on the photo to see the bigger picture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: