Monday 15 May 2023

Paraprosdokians

“A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anti-climax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.” - Wikipedia

“Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.” - Wikipedia

I hope the following paraprosdokians put a smile on your face.

I want my kids to have the things in life that I never had when I was growing up. Things like beards and chest hair. - Jarod Kintz

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. - Trent Redman

Regular naps prevent old age ... especially if you take them while driving. - Unknown

I would jump in front of a train for you, as long as it’s not moving. - Unknown

Don’t take the bull by the horns, take him by the tail; then you can let go when you want to. - Josh Billings

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. - Margaret Mead

I’m very close to my dad. He’s about six inches away right now and snoring in my ears. - Jarod Kintz

An egotist is a person of low taste – more interested in himself than in me. - Ambrose Bierce

I was raised as an only child, which really annoyed my sister. - Will Marsh

Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow ye diet. - Lewis C. Henry

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - Samuel Goldwyn

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. - Unknown

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: