Friday 2 June 2023

Spalling Concrete

More handiwork around the house. Spalling concrete is a common issue in older apartments. It is caused by carbonation, a natural deterioration process. This causes the steel bars embedded in the ceiling slab to corrode, which in turn causes the concrete cover to crack and bulge.

My old apartment has its share of spalling concrete. However, they are considered minor problems compared to some other apartments which are worse off. Previously, I had professionals to repair the damaged area. But in this instance, the spalling wasn’t too bad, so I decided to repair it myself.

I knocked off the dangling bits, and filled it up with white cement. It seems like a simple task. But if you are not a professional and you don’t have the necessary tools, it is not as easy as it seems. Anyway, I did what I could. It is not a very neat job, but the ceiling looks better now. At least, there is no risk of the dangling concrete dropping on someone’s head.

Click on the photo to see the bigger picture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: