Thursday 7 September 2023

Mookata Dinner

I had my first Mookata dinner whilst in Hat Yai. I had seen people having Mookata dinners before, but I didn’t know it was called that.
Mookata is a Southeast Asian cooking method, originating in Thailand. It resembles the Singapore hot pot or Steamboat dinner. There are also Mookata restaurants in Singapore, but somehow, none of my friends have suggested that we should try it.

The difference between the hot pot dinner and the mookata dinner is that – with the hot pot dinner, all the cooking is done in the soup or broth, whereas in a mookata dinner, there is a ‘dome’ in the center of the pot where the meat, usually thinly sliced pork, muttom, beef or chicken is cooked. Vegetables and other ingredients are cooked in the soup, or broth. You can cook the meat in the soup too, but that is not the purpose of the Mookata.

In the center of the meat platter, there is a chunk of pork fat. This is used to ‘oil’ the dome so that when cooking the meat, they will not stick to the pan/dome.

Click on the photo to see the bigger picture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: