Saturday 8 May 2021

Paraprosdokians

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising, or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anti-climax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.

I hope today's selection of paraprosdokians bring on a chuckle, or put a smile on your face, at least.

Image created on Canva

I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough. - Mark Twain

Don't do drugs, because you will go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison. - John Harwick

I have good looking kids. Thank goodness my wife cheats on me. - Rodney Dangerfield

There’s only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn what it is I’ll get married again. - Clint Eastwood

Forgive your enemies – if you can’t get back at them any other way. - Franklin P. Jones

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally. - W. C. Fields

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky tire. - Unknown

Every boy who has a dog should also have a mother, so the dog can be fed regularly. - Evan Esar

Iron deficiency can lead to a wardrobe full of crumpled clothes. - Benny Bellamacina

If at first you don’t succeed, think how many people you’ve made happy. - H. Duane Black

Always think before you speak. You may be able to come up with something twice as insulting. - Unknown

Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done, and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon. - Woody Allen

I never forget my wife’s birthday. It’s usually the day after she reminds me about it. - Unknown

The ideal man doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't do drugs, doesn't swear, doesn't get angry, doesn't exist. - Unknown

I found a concert ticket nailed to a tree, so I took it. You never know when you might need a nail. - Unknown

Frangipani Flowers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Have a great weekend! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you like to read about Life, Humour, and Quotes. If you know of someone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

No comments: