Sunday 29 November 2020

Dendrobium Orchid

This is my beautiful white and purple Dendrobium Orchid. I was over the moon to see it bloom again. There are two reasons for that. Firstly, the plant wasn’t looking very healthy, and I was expecting that I might be seeing the last of it. Secondly, the plant has already bloomed once and I didn’t know that there could be a second bloom.

In the picture below, you see that the flowers from the previous stalk were falling off. And the new shoot just coming out at the step below. Until then, I was under the impression that one orchid plant blooms only once. A friend told me otherwise, and we had an argument about it. I was adamant that it was not possible. I feel like such and idiot now. Of course, I admitted my mistake to the said friend and apologized. Apology was accepted.

Brown spots began to appear on the leaves. I manage to give them a clean up. In the process, I might have hurt the leaves a bit.

Unfortunately, the plants are not looking very healthy at the moment, and there are no new shoots coming up. Will it surprise me with another bloom again, or will this be goodbye. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a couple of ideas in mind I might try as a last measure. In the meantime, I hope the plant's health will turn around, and surprise me with either a new shoot or another bloom. We shall see.

According to Wikipedia, Dendrobium is a genus of mostly epiphytic and lithophytic orchids in the family Orchidaceae It is a very large genus, containing more than 1,800 species that are found in diverse habitats throughout much of south, east and southeast Asia, including China, Japan, India, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Guinea, Vietnam and many of the islands of the Pacific. Orchids in this genus have roots that creep over the surface of trees or rocks, rarely having their roots in soil.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you like to read about Life, Humour, and Quotes. If you know of someone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

No comments: