Sunday 6 March 2022

Epiphyllum Oxypetalum

Epiphyllum Oxypetalum, or commonly known as the ‘queen of the night’, is a species of cactus and one of the most cultivated species in its genus. They bloom only in the evening and wilt before down. The flowers are white, large – some described them as flashy, and have a nice fragrant.

Epiphyllum Oxypetalum are known to bloom infrequently. Some species are known to bloom only once a year. So, I didn’t expect much from my plant. But to date, it has surprised me with by blooming quite regularly.

This week, there were five blooms in two nights - one bloom on one night, and four on the second night. Unfortunately, the blooms are short-lived. The flowers wilt by dawn.

A young bud.

The bud the day before the big event.
Getting ready to bloom.
Eight o’clock in the evening.
Showtime. Midnight.
Four blooms the following evening. I had an urge to just sit there and admire them and take in the fragrant.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BLOGGER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

No comments: