Tuesday 16 January 2024

Catharanthus Roseus

Catharanthus Roseus is an evergreen herbaceous plant. Commonly known as Cape Periwinkle, they are a species of flowering plant in the family Apocynaceae. The flowers are dark pink with a darker red centre, with a basal tube and a corolla with five petal-like lobes.

There are quite a few of these in the apartment block. I noticed a small shoot in one of my pots one day. The wind must have carried their seeds to one of my flower pots, and it germinated from there. Knowing what the plant is, I tended to it and let it grow. Later on, there was another, and another. Now there are two more young plants. I planted them all in one pot. Let’s see how they turn out.

They are the kind of plants I like – hardy plants that can survive sunny, dry and nutritionally deficient conditions. So, they need minimum care. They bloom throughout the year. The flowers are lovely, and look like little umbrellas. And that’s what I called them – umbrella flowers, before I found out that they were called Catharanthus Roseus.

The flower resembles an umbrella doesn't it?
This is the seed pods.
All three plants in one pot.

You can click on the picture for a better view.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: