Sunday 2 June 2024

Proverbs, Maxims, Adages...

I am always amazed that a proverb, maxim, or axiom – short sentences of a few words could contain so much truth and meaning in them. Some of them sound so poetic and beautiful too. I am not academically inclined, but I have no problem understanding such sayings.

Maybe it is because I am not the smartest cookie around, that is why I find beauty and meaning in the simple sayings when others find them ordinary. It doesn’t matter, I have benefited from these sayings tremendously.

I am passionate about them and I have a big collection of these sayings which I started in my school days.

The small courtesies sweeten life; the greater ennoble it. - Christian Nestell Bovee

Words may show a man’s wit but actions his meaning. - Benjamin Franklin

Never have a companion that casts you in the shade. - Baltasar Gracian

What the eye does not see, the heart does not rue. - Mary Collyer

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. - Confucius

The bold are helpless without cleverness. - Euripides

Great acts are made up of small deeds. - Lao Tzu

Do not find fault. Find a remedy. - Unknown

The busy bee has no time to be unhappy. - Unknown

Who begins too much accomplishes little. - Unknown

The cautious seldom err. - Confucius

Win without boasting, lose without excuse. - Unknown

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Truth lives in the cellar; error on the doorstep. - Austin O'Malley

A company is only as good as the people it keeps. - Mary Kay Ash

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakens. - Carl Jung

It is better to be roughly right than precisely wrong. - John Maynard

Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose. - Baltasar Gracian

To dispute with a drunkard is to debate with an empty house. - Publilius Syrus

What is out of the common is usually a guide rather than a hindrance. - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: