Monday 14 August 2023

Paraprosdokians

“A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anti-climax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians and satirists.” - Wikipedia

“Some paraprosdokians not only change the meaning of an early phrase, but also play on the double meaning of a particular word, creating a syllepsis.” - Wikipedia

I like to think of myself as a Natural Disaster. If you really piss me off, Naturally there will be Disaster. - Unknown

Think twice before you speak. You may be able to say something even more insulting. - Unknown

I try to avoid things that make me fat, like scales, mirrors and photographs. - Unknown

If you can’t beat them, arrange to have them beaten. - George Carlin

Life doesn’t imitate art, it imitates bad television. - Woody Allen

Love your enemies. It makes them so damned mad. - P. D. East

Make crime pay. Become a Lawyer. - Will Rogers

This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. - Dorothy Parker

I saved a girl from being attacked last night. I controlled myself. - Rodney Dangerfield

Marriage should be like a workshop where the husband works and the wife shops. - Unknown

I’ve got a firm policy on gun control. If there’s a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it. - Unknown

Of course I can keep secrets. It’s the people I tell them to that can’t keep them. - Anthony Haden-Guest

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

If you are on Facebook, drop by and take a look at my Facebook Page - 👉 HERE

No comments: