Friday 29 October 2021

Batoko Plum Tree

For a long time, I have wondered what these fruits are. They look a lot like maraschino cherries. Someone told me they are edible. So, out of curiosity, I tried one. They might be edible, but it is too sour and acidic to eat them fresh. That will explain why the birds and insects leave them alone.

Anyway, I came across the name of the plant in one of the pages from the National Parks site while looking for something else.

They are called Flacourtia inermis, or known commonly as lovi-lovi, or Batoko Plum. In some places, they are known as lobi-lobi. According to information from the site, they are rich in Vitamin C and Antioxidants. They are too acidic to be eaten fresh but they are made into Chutneys, jams and wines.

There are numerous of these trees on my walk route. When they ripens, I think I will bring along a bucket and collect them to make chutneys and jams. On second thought, better to forget the idea of chutneys and jams. It is a criminal offence here to pluck fruits grown by the National Parks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BLOGGER ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate these posts, do share the link with them. Cheers!

If you are a blogger and are interested in earning crypto coins, you might want to check out the Hive blockchain. It is a social media that pays tokens for your posts, which you can then convert to crypto coins.

You can use my referral link https://ecency.com/signup?referral=netizen01 if you like.

Let me know if you do sign up, I will come by and lend some support. Or, if you have any problem understanding how it works, feel free to ask me.

No comments: