Thursday 4 August 2022

Cactus Garden

In the Parque la Paloma, or the Park of the Doves, there is a Cactus Garden – a garden with about 400 different species of cactus and succulents, according to their website.

I don’t know much about cactus plants. Only that….

They have spiky stems/leaves or thorns.
They can survive in hot and arid places because they do not need much water.
They can store water in their stems, leaves, spines and roots. Cactus can be eaten. So, if you are lost in the desert, you could survive if you know which variety of cactus is edible.
Cactus and succulents have some of the most beautiful blooms.
All cactus are succulents, but not all succulents are cactus.
And finally, Tequila is made from some variety of cactus.

There, that is about the extent of my knowledge of cacti. However, I feel a growing interest in cacti plants. So, maybe I will get to know a bit more about them in future.

The cactus garden, in one corner of the park is in open air and open to the elements. I suppose cacti love and thrive in the hot sun. But, one can’t really stay long in the garden under the hot summer sun. You will surely cook in no time.

Here are some pictures I took of the cactus park the other day.

This is the echinocactus grusoni or the golden ball cactus.

The rest of the cactus, I will not try to name them in case I got it wrong. They all look alike to me. Some more so than others.
This looks like the cactus that produces dragon fruits, but I am not sure.
All cactus are succulents but not all succulents are cactus.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BLOGGER ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for stopping by. Follow me if you find my posts interesting. If you know of anyone who might appreciate them, do recommended the blog to them. Cheers!

No comments: